- Brighton, UK
POD Architects were appointed by BP Pension Fund to examine the potential to create a mixed-use development at the prime location of 129 – 133 Queens Road, Brighton.
The site – currently a Boots department Store, was originally opened in 1921 as The Regent Cinema, before being converted into a Virgin Records Store in 1971. The building is set within the prominent position of the corner between Queen’s Road and North Street. It is not listed nor within conservation area, therefore considered a great opportunity for development, with the potential to provide something of greater architectural merit.
The design development led to a preferred scheme of five floors of retail with four setback floors of residential apartments above, overlooking Brighton’s prided seascape.